Saturday, January 5, 2013

Wait... we have to teach them EVERYTHING?

Still trying to figure out this blog stuff... since I'm new to the blogging world. Like... how to make my blog pretty, etc. etc.  It's a work in progress and I'm sure as time goes by, I'll figure it allllll out.

Anyhoodle. 
Love that expression. A girl I work "with"(with is in quotes because I work from home and so does she... we're on the same team and work together, but not TOGETHER)
Anyway, a girl I work with uses that expression...she's from the Midwest and sounds just like Mrs. Poole from the Hogan family when she says it.

I digress....

Just the other day I was discussing with my mom.... the fact that when kids are born, they are literally a blank slate.
And when you think about that... it's... well, SCARY.

Hello?!?  We have to teach them everything!!!

Well, obviously there are things that come naturally to them...crying, sleeping, pooping, eating...
But the rest of the stuff... that's all on us! Parents!

And what's even scarier is that if we don't TEACH it... they'll learn it from watching us... observing us... like monkeys. And I mean the good and the bad stuff.

In fact, I remember one very specific example -
My oldest daughter was probably about 18 months old. 
My husband and I brought her to the park one afternoon....
She was up on the playscape (when did they start calling them playscapes, by the way? When I was little..they were jungle gyms... maybe it's a Connecticut thing? I dunno).  

Anyway, this PLAYSCAPE had a steering wheel.
She was steering.
My husband and I watched from below...so pleased with the little being that we had created.
I think we may have even looked at each other and said, 'Oh, isn't she so cute?"

That's when she threw her hands up in the air off the steering wheel and shouted,

"COME ON!!!"

Imagine me shrinking into my jacket and hanging my head in shame.  

SOOO? I have a little road rage. SO WHAT?!?

Clearly, she learned it from me.

Reminds me of that 80's commercial about drugs...
"From you, alright? I learned it by watching you!"(see link below for the commercial. I crack up every time I watch it)

WEIRD DRUG COMMERCIAL

Yep. Soooo she learned it from me without my even knowing it.

So that brings me back to my original point...there are things you have to teach that you wouldn't even ever think of...

Here are a few that I've learned you actually have to teach....

1. The five second rule doesn't apply to gum.  I learned this one at a Halloween Carnival at the school when one of my little's who was new to gum chewing told me (After the fact), "Mommy, I dropped my gum on the floor, but it's ok, I picked it up and put it back in my mouth"   Awesome.

2. Your inside voice is even still too loud in a public bathroom and/or dressing room. Talking about what my underwear looks like or asking why my stomach has wrinkled skin is not ok.

3. Don't touch other people's eyeballs. This should be one of those just born knowing things...I thought it would've been.  Guess it's not.

4. Ignoring people when they talk to you is not polite.  What is THAT all about? My girls were(are?) the queens of that.  If they don't want to talk to someone...and I'm referring to pretty much any adult they aren't comfortable with,.... they look the other way and pretend not to hear them.
Imagine if we all could do that?  Sorry... don't feel like responding... just gonna look the other way and pretend you're not there. 
I've had to remind my girls time and time again about how rude that is and that I expect them to answer. 

5. HOLD THE DOOR FOR THE PEOPLE BEHIND YOU.  Before I realized I had to teach my girls this lesson in politeness.... I watched my oldest let the door slam in someone's face.  I had no idea that SHE had no idea that she should hold the door.  So I literally had to give her a lesson on door holding right then and there.

6. It is polite to say, "Bless you" when someone sneezes. I thought maybe this one would've been just picked up after hearing so many people do it, but nope. It wasn't. I got really annoyed one day when I had a sneezing fit and not one of my kids blessed me afterwards.
I mean, I guess it's not that big of a deal...but really. Silence?

I just sneezed 40 times and managed to continue to drive the car...
and you've got NOTHING to say to me? Sheesh!~

So while I'm sitting here typing this I'm thinking... how many people DON'T teach their kids these things?  Ok...the inside voice in the bathroom? That's more embarrassing than anything else, but how about manners? 
How many kids have you had to your house that don't have manners? You give them a snack and you're waiting for those "magic words" and the kid barely acknowledges you.  What is THAT all about?!?

Maybe their parents are still waiting for a memo...or a public service announcement.

"Pssst. Parents, in case you were wondering... you have to TEACH your kid these things.... they don't just come up with exceptional manners on their own."

You know what else you have to teach?... kindness and empathy. I can't even go there today....

That's a whole other story for a whole other post.

Off to spend the Saturday with my kids... otherwise known as, keep them all from killing one another.

Peace, Love, and RIGHT NOW.



No comments:

Post a Comment